What are user roles?
User roles define the access to all program features, objects, and data in XLReporting. You can
create as many roles as you want, and then assign one or more role(s) to each user. User roles
consist of 2 elements:
- Permissions - enable or disable access to program features.
- Report filters - restrict the data that users can see.
Create user roles
You can create a user role in two ways:
- Click on Define - New in the sidebar menu.
- Click on the Actions - Create new button of an existing user role. This
also enables you to make a copy of an existing group.
Either way, the rest of the process is the same, and you can enter a name for your new user role
and define its settings:
This page also shows all current users that have been assigned to this user role.
You can define the settings for the user role via these fields:
- Name - enter a name. This must be unique within all your user roles.
- Description - enter an (optional) description. This is helpful to document
your various user roles.
- Active/locked - activate or lock a user role. When locked, the permissions
of this user role (and therefore all users assigned to this role) are revoked.
- Group - select how this user role is to be shown in the menu navigation.
You can enable or disable the access to every individual program feature:
- View dashboard - allow users to view their own dashboard, or dashbaords
published by other users.
- Edit dashboard - allow users to add and edit their own dashboard.
- Publish dashboard - allow users to publish their dashboard to other
- Run reports - allow users to run reports.
- Edit layouts - allow users to edit predefined report layouts.
- Run models - allow users to run models.
- Save models - allow users to save data they entered into models.
- Import data - allow users to import data by running predefined imports.
- Export data - allow users to export data from data sets.
- Edit data - allow users to manually edit the content of data sets.
- Define new - allow users to create new objects.
- Define reports - allow users to define reports.
- Define models - allow users to define models.
- Define imports - allow users to define imports.
- Define data sets - allow users to define data sets.
- Define profile - allow users to edit their own profile.
- Define company - allow users to edit your account's company details.
- Define users - allow users to define other users (this is usually an
- Define user roles - allow users to define user roles (this is usually an
- Define groups - allow users to define groups (this is usually an
- Define scripts - allow users to define advanced scrips in data sets,
imports, reports, and models. This is for advanced use, and this setting is disabled by
default. Read more about scripts.
- Transfer objects - allow users to transfer objects between tenants by
exporting and importing configuration files.
- Access console - allow users to access the console to debug objects. Read more about debugging.
- Access API - allow users to access the API without going through the web
- Contact support - allow users to contact the XLReporting support team
through the Support menu (you may choose to disable this if you prefer to
support your users internally within your own team or company).
You can select one or multiple filters to restrict the data that users can see. The list of
fields shows all your data sets with all their columns, and you can set a filter for each
So in above example, users assigned to this role will only ever see data that is limited to
company "UK" and unit "100". Users with different roles can be given access to the same report,
yet they would see differently filtered data, based on their role. This is a very powerful
feature that helps to segment and protect your information in a very simple way.
You do not need to add any specific definition to reports. The filters will automatically be
applied whenever a user runs a report that includes a data set on which you have defined a
When defining a user role, you can use the Save and Actions
buttons in the right-top of the screen:
These buttons enable you to do the following:
- Save - save your changes
- Actions - open a dropdown menu with further options:
- Create a new user role (or copy one)
- Delete this user role
- Export data or print
Recommended reading: Back to top